Wherever you live in Connecticut, deer are a common presence. Their population has been continuously growing, and as a result there has been an increase in deer-car collisions. According to the National Safety Council, there are over 500,000 animal related car accidents per year in the United States. Not only do these collisions have an effect on your Auto Insurance claim costs, but it also threatens your safety and the safety of others on the road. Of course collisions may be unavoidable in some situations; however here are some defensive driving tips to help you avoid hitting a deer.
- Be especially attentive from sunset to midnight and during the hours shortly before and after sunrise. These are the highest risk times for deer-vehicle collisions.
- Drive with caution when moving through deer-crossing zone. Remember that if you see one deer, there are likely more.
- Use your high beam headlights, as long as there is no oncoming traffic, when driving at night. This will better illuminate the eyes of deer in the road and help you stop in time to avoid it.
- If you do see a deer near a roadway, slow down and blow your horn with one long blast to frighten it away.
- If you notice a deer in your path, brake firmly but try not to swerve. Many serious crashes actually occur when drivers swerve out of their lane to avoid the deer but hit another vehicle or lose control.
- Always wear your seatbelt. Most people injured in car/deer crashes were not wearing their seatbelts.
- Devices such as deer whistles, deer fences, and reflectors have not been proven to reduce deer-vehicle collisions. So even if you use them, do not rely solely on them.
If you do have a collision with a deer, the best procedure to follow is to get your car off the road if possible, and call the police. Don’t touch the injured deer, as a frightened and injured animal could hurt you. The next step is to contact your insurance agent to report the damage to your car.
If you do not already have a Bozrah CT Auto Insurance policy with us, contact us so we can review your current needs and any anticipated changes that can impact your coverage in the future. The Byrnes Agency provides individuals throughout Connecticut and the country with auto insurance plans to protect against unforeseen damages injuries. With access to dozens of insurers, we can obtain the most affordable rates for the coverages you need.