The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Exposure in the Home

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Exposure in the HomeCarbon monoxide is a very sneaky and very dangerous poison. It is odorless and tasteless, but it is a high-risk element, and can even be deadly with sufficient exposure. Carbon monoxide enters the body through the lungs and then moves through the blood. It impairs the transportation of oxygen to the tissues of the body. This blood flow is essential to the functioning of the heart and the brain, and the lack of this function can be fatal.

Though many homes have smoke alarms, many homeowners don’t think about maintaining a working carbon monoxide detector. In 2013, it was estimated that 20,000 to 30,000 people are sickened and 500 die as a result of carbon monoxide exposure, yet many states do not require carbon monoxide detectors in the home and even states with requirements do exempt some homes. As a homeowner, you want to make sure that you stay safe in your own home, and part of this is informing yourself on the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure.

Where Does it Come From?

There are many products that produce carbon monoxide. They include:

  • Gas or oil heaters
  • Kerosene space heaters
  • Gas or wood stoves or stoves
  • Gas grills or ovens
  • Charcoal auto vehicles
  • Lawn mowers
  • Generators
  • Any other gas powered equipment.

Unless your home is 100% electrically powered, your family is at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. However, carbon monoxide is only a problem if the appliances and equipment are not functioning properly. Worn parts and improper ventilation can cause carbon monoxide to be released in the home, so make sure to keep your appliances well-maintained.

Symptoms and Precautions

One of the most helpful things you can do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to buy and install CO detectors in your home. Detectors have saved the lives of many people each year. Connecticut state law requires carbon monoxide detectors in private dwellings.

You can also help prevent carbon monoxide poisonings by hiring a professional to install your heating, clean the chimney and heating equipment each winter before using it. It is very important to inspect the ventilation of all appliances, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and garage, check your vehicle regularly, never leave your car running in the garage or sleep in a running car, and repair your lawn mower and other gas or oil powered equipment in the fresh air.

When a person is poisoned with carbon monoxide they will have symptoms similar to a common flu. Those symptoms are also likely to be accompanied by headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, loss of muscle strength, chest pain, convulsions, fatigue, rapid heartbeat and confusion.

If you suspect that you or a household member could have been exposed to carbon monoxide, you should immediately evacuate everyone to fresh air, call the fire department, call the poison center, and call the gas or oil company that takes care of your heating.

About Byrnes Agency

At Byrnes Agency, we offer auto insurance solutions that can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Whether you have an old classic car or a brand-new model, we have the right coverage for you. To learn more about our products, contact us today at one of our two locations.

If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve read here and would like to know when we’ve published a new blog post, please “like” us on our Facebook page, and share this with your Connecticut neighbors.

Dayville Office

Phone: (860) 774-8549

394 Lake Rd

Dayville, CT 06241

United States

info@byrnesagency.com

Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 9:00am-5:00pm

Norwich Office

Phone: (860) 886-5498

6 Consumers Avenue

Norwich, CT 06360

United States

info@byrnesagency.com

Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 9:00am-5:00pm