When you’re out on the open water in your boat, you want to make sure you are well protected. It’s important to have a New London Boat Insurance policy to protect yourself financially in case of damage or if you are held liable for damage caused by your boat. It’s also imperative that you protect yourself and your guests physically while enjoying your boat.
Keeping your vessel properly maintained will help you keep your guests safe, and enjoy your boating experiences for years to come. Here are 10 steps to take to winterize your boat.
1. Take one last trip. Make notes about thing you want to repair, replace, or modify on your boat, whether it’s outdated electronics, dirty carpets, or a stinky holding tank. Now is the perfect time to make these repairs.
2. Unpack. Remove as much gear from the boat as possible, which could include pots, pans, dishes, linens, etc. If you can’t store them at home, at least give them all a thorough washing at home.
3. Clean it out thoroughly. Give your boat a good scrubbing from front to back. This includes wiping out the lockers and drawers and cleaning out the bilge.
4. Air it out. Leave your interior doors and lockers open so air can circulate. It’s also a good idea to put out some moisture and odor absorbents such as DampRid.
5. Clean the deck. This includes pulling out your anchor and rising the mud off the chain and road, and laying your sails and lines out to wash them with warm, soapy water.
6. Check the engine system. Start by topping off your tanks and stabilizing your fuel. Then change your engine oil and replace all the filters. Check the coolant, hoses, belts, and clamps and clean your strainers. Be sure to check with local authorities about how to recycle used oil, filters, etc.
7. Flush your head. Do this with plenty of fresh water and pump out your holding tank. Run non-toxic antifreeze through the intake lines, the y-valve, macerator and discharge hose.
8. Drain tanks. After turning your water heater off, completely drain that out as well as your fresh water tanks. You can add non-toxic anti-freeze directly to your water tank and pump it through your hot and cold plumbing.
9. Install anti-freeze. Other areas to install anti-freeze that haven’t been mentioned yet are the ice makers, air conditioning pumps, sump pumps, fish wells and bilge pumps.
10. Perform after haul procedures, such as:
- Fogging the cylinders on gasoline engines
- Flushing the engine’s raw water cooler system with non-toxic anti-freeze
- Opening all thru-hulls and checking your shaft, strut, cutlass bearings, props, etc.
- Cleaning and disconnecting the battery
Following these steps will ensure that your boat is ready for next Spring, as well as making it a safe vessel to entertain your family and other guests. At Byrnes Agency, we understand that your boat is your pride a joy. Be sure to properly insure it so that you can enjoy the pleasures you get from boating for many years to come. Contact us today for more information:
- Windham County Insurance Office – Dayville
- New London County Insurance Office – Norwich
- Windham County Insurance Office – Woodstock