Why Homeowners Need CT Flood Insurance

With more than 600 miles of coastline and plenty of rivers running through it, Connecticut is a great place for people who love the outdoors. But while this water may be great to be around, it does pose a potential risk for homeowners in the state. While most people may not think about it, Connecticut is not immune to flooding. With the right level of CT Flood Insurance, you can protect your home and enjoy the Constitution State’s wonderful waters without worry. Here’s what you need to know when choosing CT flood insurance to protect your home.

Is Flood Insurance Necessary in Connecticut?

In coastal states or in low-lying flood-prone areas, homeowners’ insurance lenders might require flood insurance as part of your mortgage agreement. However, many homeowners in Connecticut choose CT flood insurance even if not required by a lender. But outside of a burst pipe, do homeowners in the state really need flood coverage?

The answer is yes. According to FEMA, more than 20 percent of flood claims in the U.S. happen in areas that aren’t considered high risk. Flood maps track historical flooding and attempt to predict future flooding, but nature is unpredictable. A CT flood insurance policy protects your home against the unexpected.

What Risks Are Covered by Flood Insurance?

Your homeowner’s coverage policy covers most risks your home might face, but some risks are excluded. A CT flood insurance helps by protecting your home against losses due to overland flooding or mudflow. Neither of these risks is covered by a general homeowner’s policy, which makes a flood policy crucial for some homeowners in the state.

Your flood insurance policy protects both your home and your belongings inside it, with separate coverage limits for each. However, some flood insurance policy structures may prevent you from insuring the full value, especially if you have a high-value home or valuable belongings inside. But, you still have options to find help.

When is CT Flood Insurance Required in the State?

If you’re located in one of FEMA’s Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA), federal law mandates that your mortgage lender make flood insurance a mandatory part of your loan agreement. If your neighborhood is rezoned into a new SFHA after FEMA’s annual update of flood rate maps, homeowners insurance lenders may inform homeowners that they need to get CT flood insurance.

Even if you’re not located in an SFHA, insurance lenders might make you get flood insurance based on its risk level. However, it’s important to note that in most cases, flood insurance only provides coverage of $250,000 for a structure and $100,000 for possessions. If your home and belongings are worth more than those limits, you may need to purchase additional flood insurance.

About Byrnes Agency

At Byrnes Agency, we offer insurance solutions that can be tailored to meet your specific needs. Whether you’re looking for personal policies or commercial coverage, we have the right coverage for you. To learn more about our products, contact us today at one of our two locations.

If you’ve enjoyed what you’ve read here and would like to know when we’ve published a new blog post, please “like” us on our Facebook page, and share this with your Connecticut neighbors.

Dayville Office

Phone: (860) 774-8549

394 Lake Rd

Dayville, CT 06241

United States


Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 9:00am-5:00pm

Norwich Office

Phone: (860) 886-5498

6 Consumers Avenue

Norwich, CT 06360

United States


Hours of Operation: Monday- Friday 9:00am-5:00pm