Helping your college student set up their first rental apartment is a major milestone. They take stuff from the house, shop with you at Target, IKEA and Bed, Bath & Beyond for furnishings, and ensure all their electronics are in order. Is insuring all this stuff part of the to-do list?

Renters Insurance with the Byrnes Agency

Off to College, Pack Renters Coverage

We get this question a lot from our customers: My daughter is off to college and she’s renting a house with some friends, are her possessions covered under our Homeowners policy? That depends.

If your child is living in a dorm, then typically your Homeowners policy would cover her belongings for a limited amount. This depends on the type of policy and the insurance company that issued the policy. Homeowners policies vary greatly as to what is and what isn’t covered for students away from home.

Afford Rental Coverage for College-Bound Students

If a college child is renting an off-campus apartment or house, then it’s a good idea to buy a separate Renters policy. A Renters policy provides three basic types of protection:

  • Personal Possessions: Protect your belongings if they are lost or damaged due to a fire, vandalism or theft among other things.
  • Liability: Protection kicks in if someone slips and gets hurt while at a party at your place. It not only helps cover any medical expenses but also can pay for your legal fees if you get sued.
  • Additional Living Expenses: If you are displaced by a storm or a fire, additional living expenses coverage will typically cover the cost of a hotel, or a temporary rental until you can move back home.

The Byrnes Agency offers college students Renters insurance at very reasonable prices.