As winter approaches, you may have many things on your mind, including insuring that your home and automobile are properly maintained and ready for the cold weather. You may be thinking about the holiday shopping you need to get started on, or vacationing plans. A very important thing to keep in mind though, is your safety while on the road.
Here are some winter driving safety tips to bear in mind and share with your family.
- Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop. Experts say that in freezing weather, you should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
- Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists, and make sure your lights and windshield are clean and clear so you don’t have any visual impairment.
- Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
- Avoid using cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
- Be aware that even at temperatures above freezing, if the conditions are wet, you may still encounter ice in shady areas or on exposed roadways such as bridges.
- Don’t assume you vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.
Snow and ice present challenges for even the most experienced driver. The first step to ensuring your safety is winterizing your car, but it’s also imperative that you know winter driving techniques to help you get to your destination safely.
The Byrnes Agency provides individuals throughout Connecticut and the country with Personal Auto Insurance plans to protect against unforeseen damages and injuries. Our staff will help you weight you budgets against potential risks when selecting your coverages, limits, and deductibles. Contact us today at one of our various locations for more information.